Monday, August 10, 2026

Spider-Man: Brand New Day

 Warning: This post will contain spoilers


    
I saw Spider-Man: Brand New Day today, and honestly, from a Spider-Man perspective, it was a 10/10. I loved it, and I think it's the best work Marvel has put out so far these past few years. 

    It's a story of change and growth. It's set 4 years after No Way Home (which was a nice touch because the actors have noticeably aged), and Peter still hasn't reconnected with his friends; all he does is be Spider-Man. He's been being the friendly neighbor for a couple of years, and now there are bigger issues at hand. The main antagonist of the film is Jean Grey, played by Sadie Sink, who is on a mission to get information from a heavily weaponed institution. 

    I love how Peter's story is told and how it evolves in this film. His main gripe throughout the film is fearing becoming more spider than human, and what triggers the spider "taking over" is him seeing MJ kiss her boyfriend at her and Ned's party. It signifies the end of his old life as pre-spell Peter Parker. Before seeing this, Peter could watch Ned and MJ from a distance and at least pretend he was still a part of their world and the old Peter, but after, the mental anguish triggers the metamorphosis not only starting to form a new version of Spider-Man but of Peter Parker; the distinction isn't clear anymore between the two - it's no longer an alter ego he is now both. 

    This distinction is weaponized by none other than Jean Grey to taunt him and distract him from his main goal in the film: catching her. Jean Grey's story in this film is a sad one. She spends the whole film on the hunt to find answers to what happened to her sister after she was kidnapped and taken into custody (and the way she finds it out was honestly heartbreaking). The end was a beautiful sequence of Jean and Peter connecting through loss and the weight of what they carry being on their shoulders, and I hope that the MCU will make the smart decision to keep the familiarity and love between them throughout their future movies. 

    Here's the thing everyone wants to know about: Peter and MJ. I'll be honest, I was never the biggest MJ and Peter fan ( I don't know; I just always felt like Gwen and Peter were always so buzzy, like I love them), but this movie truly made me sad for them. But honestly, I love the fact that they don't get together in the end - 4 years had passed, and this fact cannot be ignored. Peter hasn't moved on because he hasn't made a life for himself after what happened, but MJ has. She has her degree, her roommate, her potential job, and her boyfriend. I don't doubt she would have believed him if he told her in the donut shop, and they would have been together, but Peter chose not to tell her and chose to have everyone forget him.  People online have been saying that MJ is insane for not dropping everything to be with him, and taking an educated guess at MJ's character, not only does she not know him, but knowing her, the deal was broken when he took her autonomy away from her, even in the name of protecting her, which she says and Peter understands. And even though the scene was gut-wrenching, I'm glad that the true love's kiss didn't work. I think both characters deserve to move on.

    Also, the scene where Peter, even after being rejected by the love of his life, takes her home, tells her, and apologizes for the kiss is so important for people of any age to see. It didn't take much for him to be a decent person, even when hurt, and to know she wasn't in the right place to be kissed by him. Superheroes need to be good heroes but even better people.


    My favorite moment of the whole film, though, was Peter and Ned having their own true love's kiss in the version of their handshake, and I think it was well deserved and tied the film together. Ned making the Spider-Man app, having a wall where he tried to figure out who it is so he can thank him, and posting videos documenting his whole college experience so "someone" can see it and enjoy it. He has been subconsciously making space for Peter all 4 years he's been gone, and I think them being the true love to break the spell makes the most sense. 


Honorable mentions:
- Bruce Banner and the Hulk finally having a good form (hello Avengers) 

- Frank and Peter omg I loved them

- Aunt May 

- Zendaya's fits this whole film (she loves her a button-down and a loafer hunny)


 Okay, enough glazing; here are my critiques: 

- Bruce Banner and the Hulk have been in the MCU for more than a decade, and we've watched him evolve and devolve in the background of so many films. When will he get his own film, and really get into this Jekyll and Hyde meets gamma radiation thing? I'm sick of the Hulk being reduced to this big angry doofus. It's overplayed; it's done. There has to be more to him than that. Plus, Banner is a silver fox, teaches, and yet has no love interest? I'LL DO IT! I'll take on one for the team, guys. But honestly, as Banner ages, it has to be taking some toll turning into Hulk; we need a movie or something to explain and put an end to the guys suffering its honestly enough now. 

- Are we gearing for Jean Grey to be more of an antihero now? Her intro into the MCU with this film felt very evil, even if for a good cause. But honestly, her story is giving very Wanda Maximoff. I hope we get a little more than telepathic powers = mental illness. While it's a good trope and honestly is explained well, I don't want to see another ultra-powerful woman with mind powers be thrown to the side because of mental illness. I hope there's some distinction.

- Can we potentially answer the question of how the hell Peter affords anything? It didn't show him working outside of being Spidey. 

- Are we gearing up for moving into Gwen being a main character in the next film? Or are we bringing Laura Harrier back everrr likeee. I would love a main love interest that's not overly tragic, and I feel like Gwen deserves her spotlight after how Andrew Garfield's Amazing Spider-Man films ended.


This is all I have to say about the films for now, but I'd love to talk about it with you guys! What did you think?



☆ stay cool, cool girls! and stay weird!☆

xoxo,

eternalcoolgirl ☆

No comments:

Post a Comment